The Best Flaky Biscuits

Ready for a fat free and low calorie biscuit? Well look somewhere else because you will not find that here today. I used to be more concerned about my fat and calorie intake, but once I just started cooking wholesomely with real food and ingredients, I found myself more satisfied and not needing the quantity of food I used to crave in the past.

I do use this recipe as a treat though. I will occasionally make a nice big breakfast on busy weekends and we stay full as we run around throughout the day. I use this recipe from the food network for biscuits and every single time, they turn out like a charm.

We made them last year at Iron Oak Farm when we got stranded and stayed the night during a snow storm. Jennifer captured some great pictures.

http://ironoakfarm.blogspot.com/2015/11/snowed-in-with-food-and-blacksmiths.html

Alright now onto the food. Recipe from:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/biscuits-with-dirty-sausage-gravy-recipe.html

I first cut up cold butter into small cubes and add to flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.


I like to use my hands to squish the butter into the flour, slowly breaking it into smaller chucks.


Then I add milk and mix until combined and turn out onto a floured surface.




The key to flaky biscuits is to roll out the dough and make a fold. Repeat rolling and folding creating a layering effect.


I like to use a drinking glass to cut out the dough for the perfect biscuit.


Add to your baking sheet, and watch the magic happen!


Bake and watch them puff up and rise. As they cook you can see the layers separate.


Aren't they beautiful!

The first time I made these I was worried about it being extremely labor intensive. It isn't the fastest breakfast but it is not as daunting as you may think.

I find I like to creep out of bed early in the morning and slowly work about my kitchen drinking tea and waking up. Slowly my husband strolls in with sand man eyes and Campbell soup kid hair. And we start the day to a lazy delicious weekend breakfast.



- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -