Marbled Cheesecake

In July, my mother celebrated her 60th Birthday. She has always made beautiful cakes for every family member's birthday. As well as elegant wedding, shower and other special occasion cakes.


Here is actually a picture of my mother with the wedding cake she made for my husband and I. See what I mean- she does amazing work!

So even though I can't do justice to her lavish cakes, I went all out trying to make a delicious cheesecake. Cheesecake is her absolute favorite. She has tried many recipes, tips and tricks over the years for the perfect one. Like putting water in the oven while cooking the cheesecake, and recipes that had a sour cream topping.

I stumbled into heaven with this cheesecake tip from Jan. (One of the wives of a blacksmith that my husband occasionally visits). It stood out above all others and is now mine and my mother's favorite one to make. Essentially, the secret to this recipe is an extra box of cream cheese.

This cheesecake is a perfect simple recipe. I upped the anti by creating a marble effect. We had a lemon/lime theme birthday, and since everyone likes different toppings on their cheesecake, I decided to decorate with a simple marble effect and toppings ala carte!

Now let me be honest, that it was delicious, but this was the first time that I had ever tried this marbling effect. It was ok, but I could've done better. Like most things in life, you get better with more practice. So one of the reasons for my delay in the post, is because I wanted to make another one because I knew I could do better. But life has gotten in the way, and another cheesecake has yet to be made. So bear with me, and my less than perfect attempt.

First you prepare your crust. I enjoy just the traditional graham cracker crust, with a bit of sugar and butter.

I love using my food processor to make quick work of grinding up the graham crackers.


Combine, sugar and butter


Then press and cover into the bottom and up the sides of a spring-form pan. Bake and set aside to cool.

While the crust is cooling, prepare the filling.

First, beat your eggs well.


I am spoiled rotten by Iron Oak Farm, with these colorful, delicious eggs. If you are not familiar with them, I highly recommend checking them out. From food, to farm, beautiful photos, blacksmithing, and Jennifer's beautifully knit words, it is a blog to simply swoon over.

http://ironoakfarm.blogspot.com/

Then combine the remaining ingredients: cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, salt, sour cream and cornstarch.


Then I divided the mixture in 3 bowls: leaving one white, and adding green and yellow food coloring to the others.


As I poured it into the graham cracker crust, I attempted to create a swirling effect. (Again- next time I think I could've done a better job.) Then bake until set.

Let cool and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.


As you can see it is a very simple process. When not coloring and trying to marble the cheesecake, it is even easier and always turns out beautifully.

How do you like your cheesecake? What are your favorite toppings?

Wishing you and your family a Happy and Delicious Thanksgiving!

Jan's Cheesecake

Ingredients
3 eggs
3 - 8oz packages of cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of sour cream
2 Tbls of cornstarch
*this recipe does not include crust instructions/ingredients

Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare crust of your choice
Beat eggs well.
Combine remaining ingredients and beat until smooth
Pour into prepared crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving



- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -