Spring Weeds

I've been reading a lot lately about herbs and natural remedies. I have always loved making weird concoctions. One of my most vivid memories as a child, was being at our family farm in Kentucky.


One day there was not much going on, I wandered into the bathroom and saw all of my mother's bag of toiletries on the counter. I loved when we traveled she brought with her a tiny, old, glass Listerine bottle. Ah perfect for making potions! I started grabbing a bunch of items and mixing it in. I remember spraying hairspray in there too, yuck!


(Recent picture of the farm bathroom. Not much has changed. Where the yellow laundry basket is, was where a blue towel was laid and toiletries were set out.)

Something drew my attention away and I left the bathroom forgetting about my potion. The next day my poor mother comes yelling out of the bathroom, "what did you do, are you trying to kill me!"

No mom. I'm sorry, you were never meant to gargle this, I was just making a potion.

Hope after 25+ some years, my mother forgives me, but I still feel bad about it. Today my "potions" are more thought out and you can ingest them and be just fine.


I've been trying to keep an open mind and utilize all of my resources. As I was in the yard doing some spring cleaning, I started to see the leaves of dandelions already springing to life, and this year I am embracing them.

I've know for a long time that you can eat them, and I've bought the expensive tea blends that have the leaves and roots in them. Why am I ignoring these free beauties in my yard?


So I've been picking, washing and enjoying them. According to Wikipedia, dandelion is French for "lion's tooth." Very fitting with the jagged leaves. There are multiple kinds, including false dandelions, but they are all edible. Leaves, roots and flowers can all be ingested.

Some health benefits/vitamins and minerals in dandelions are:
-Calcium
-Vitamin C
-Luteolin
-Iron
-Potassium
-Fiber
-Helps lower blood pressure
-Helps skin issues like eczema and acne
-Stimulate digestion
-Cleanses the Liver
-Can help diabetics by regulate blood sugar

So for now I have dehydrated them and using them as tea. Mixing in some dehydrated berries from last year to sweeten slightly and add more flavor.


I'm still working on trying dandelions cooked and in salads.

I'd love to hear about everyone's foraging for food adventures and recipes if you have any to share!


1 comment:

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -