Get to a Man's Heart through his Stomach

It all started in the kitchen.... I owe my mother, Granny, and my Nana so much credit to my love of cooking. I was brought up enjoying wholesome meals with a loving family around me and I hope to have that with my own family now. My husband is the best critic and can sometimes be brutally honest. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I met my husband, when I was 7 years old. (I was the annoying little sister back then.) He drifted in and out of our lives until I ran back into him when I was 19 years old. 10 years later, he is both my husband and best friend.


I must admit that a good cook to a bachelor is a hot commodity, so the cards were stacked in my favor. The first meal I cooked for him was chicken pot pie. It has evolved over the years. You can buy frozen vegetables and chicken stock and rotisserie chicken from the store for a quick convenience or spend a lazy Sunday roasting your own chicken, preparing your own stock and chopping fresh vegetables. By far one of my family's favorite meals, here is my version of chicken pot pie:


First, saute up your onion, butter, salt and pepper. Let the onions get soft and fragrant.


 Add in your flour to absorb all of your liquid. It may be a bit clumpy, but it is ok I promise.


 Slowly add in your chicken stock and milk, whisking as you add. Everything will slowly get thick and bubbly.


Add in your vegetables and chicken/turkey meat. Then adjust the seasoning to taste.


Pour into a pie crust and crimp the edges to seal the top on.


I have this vintage pie bird that I love to pop in the middle to vent the pie. Or you can cut slits into the top. I also add these metal shields around the edges. (You can also put aluminum foil around the pie.)I hate crusts that turn into burnt pieces of the Sahara desert as you bite into them, I find that this helps solve the problem for me.

Then bake for about 45 minutes. The hardest part is the mouth watering aroma and waiting for it to cool and set up a bit before cutting and serving. Of course sometimes we are impatient and we devour the whole thing as a sloppy mess.


Please let me know if you try it and like it or hate it. Do you have a family pot pie recipe that you enjoy? Feel free to leave me a comment below. I hope this meal brings you and your family the love that it has brought me.


Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients
1/2 cup of chopped onion
4 Tbls of butter
4 Tbls of flour
10 oz chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken or turkey
12 oz frozen or fresh vegetables
2 pie crusts
Salt & Pepper to taste

Pre- heat oven to 425 degrees.
Saute onions in butter until soft.
Mix in flour until all liquid is absorbed and then slowly add your milk and chicken broth.
Stir until smooth and bubbly.
Add in your chicken and mixed vegetables.
Heat through and salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into pie crust and top with the second crust. Pinch the ends together to seal the crust.
Create vent slots with a knife or pie bird.
Bake at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Let cool 30 minutes to allow to set up before eating.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see what you have in store. The pie looks delicious! !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to see what you have in store. The pie looks delicious! !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making Jennifer make this right now.

    ReplyDelete

- DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -